মঙ্গলবার, ১২ ফেব্রুয়ারী, ২০১৩

Campus Canvas: Stephanie Couey - Arbiter Online | Arbiter Online

Tabitha Bower / The Arbiter

Tabitha Bower / The Arbiter

Looking for a way to have your photos viewed, your poems and short stories read or your illustrations eyed? Campus Canvas, a new outlet for creatively inclined Broncos, is seeking submissions in the categories of poetry, photography, illustration and more. Prefer to think outside the box; Send us a photo of your non-traditional art including sculpture, graffiti, fashion design or anything artistic.

Art and writing submissions will be reviewed by the editorial staff and if your piece is chosen, your work will be featured in the print edition of The Arbiter along with an artist bio. Please send submissions or questions/comments about Campus Canvas to arts@stumedia.boisestate.edu.

Featured Poet: Stephanie Couey

Writing Harry Potter fan fiction may have been the pushing off point for Stephanie Couey, president of the English Major?s Association (EMA) and recent graduate with a B.A. in creative writing, but her passion for writing has evolved tenfold since her wizardly days as a 12-year-old.

?I know there are so many people now that know me, that would be surprised by that,? Couey said. ?But people really close to me would be like ?yeah, she is more of a geek than anything.??

Her collection of featured poems strays away from this early life calling and instead focuses on the experiences of being a teenager, with inspirations pulled from essays written by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

?He (Emerson) is talking about every morning as being a new learning experience and how you start over every morning,? Couey said.? ?And I think I was kind of doing that in the same way and I was relating that back to being a teenager which is kind of where you decide what direction you want to take. You see things more clearly which usually leads to a lot of angst and a lot of problems.?

Couey described the style she has developed over her years at Boise State as honest, and attempts to allow her writing flow without censorship of concepts or ideas, even when they may seem bizarre.

?I am writing a story right now about a woman, where earlier in the day she is watching Martha Stewart on the TV,? Couey said. ?Then later, as she is a little inebriated, she is someplace else and she is looking at her surroundings and Martha Stewart is in her head narrating what she is seeing at the bar.?

While Couey has found a niche in poetry during her time at Boise State and has applied to Master of Fine Arts graduate programs for such, she said fiction writing has consumed her time as of late.

?Fiction and poetry were really on the exact same plane for me,? Couey said. Everyone wants that glory of getting published and doing really well, and I mean, I?m not exempt from that. I do think I want that for fiction at least. I would love to write books, but I would love to teach poetry.?

And publishing is something Couey has become quite familiar with in her senior year, when she had four of her works published in a variety of publications. Aside from these recent publications, Couey said her proudest accomplishment in writing was her acceptance to poetry professor Martin Corless-Smith?s graduate workshop.

?He has extremely high standards and knowing that I, I can?t say met them, but that I at least deserved that kind of a chance, meant the world to me,? Couey said.

One of Couey?s most memorable times, and a coming-of-age moment in her undergraduate career came in her first poetry class, which was taught by Genna Kohlhardt. In this class, she learned poetry does not need to be a reflection of angst or unhappy times.

?She really slapped me around a little bit in the best way possible about poetry that is confessional not necessarily being the right way to go,? Couey said. ?I really discovered a positive relationship with writing poems and writing fiction from her mostly.?

Aside from creating a style of writing solely her own, Couey said her relationships, and more importantly friendships in her undergraduate career stand out to her.

?I?ve engaged with the community here so much,? she said. ?I never really thought I would have writer friends and other people I could really bounce ideas off of and speak in writer-ly terms with and not sound like I?m just really pretentious.?

?

Featured work:

morning downpour

?

the smell of a college
boy metallic faucet
drips the boy
shallow as an epithet
onto my stretched pointed
tongue

limber little acrobat tongue
i lick the down
pour
a kitten held wet
by nape
and i trust a boy to pour
peroxide into the cavities
[on either side] of
my head

__________________________

a very small eparchy

loving a swarm, she blows a puff
of ash
her fattened vespid tribe drips
florea wax
they speak
in refined colloquia buzz

from her anointed lips falls voice
?this is my ventral; this is my ester
in me? you shall
be viscous catching heaven?s drippings in
your mouths

their legs rattle ? a dance a tremble a swarm
a dance
this god?s tears pelt the sand

__________________________________

crossing over

i throw you down to a bed of pine and reed like i used
to throw my parents
melted butter down the nape of my
negligence
slips a string, a path
a tickling trickle
down to a firth, a garter

I uncover what is kitsch
in a book and a pair
of fallen stockings
a tongue to a cheek to a sacrum
groin, and back
and back again

soon the world will fold itself
into its bucolic mouth
where apples fall heavy and women
fall softly
sex drops into my mouth like water
and your ankles cross
a bow

About Tabitha Bower

Tabitha Bower joined the Arbiter after taking a News Writing class. She wrote for the News and Features sections as a journalist for one semester before becoming this year's Arts and Entertainment section editor. She is double majoring in English with a writing emphasis and communication with a journalism emphasis. After college she dreams of being employed. Tabitha lived in Okinawa, Japan for three years prior to moving to Boise. She once spent a year backpacking, scuba diving and basking in a hammock with a drink in Southeast Asia. While there she mistook a lamp pole for a palm tree, climbed it and then severely injured herself falling out of it. When sleeping in her basement beware of her cats, which have been known to attack innocent sleepers. She also has the talent of juggling school, work, looking fabulous and being super mom to her two year old son, Aiden.

Short URL: http://arbiteronline.com/?p=98664

Source: http://arbiteronline.com/2013/02/11/campus-canvas-stephanie-couey/

seth macfarlane Black Mesa matt ryan matt ryan att wireless Mother Jones cars

কোন মন্তব্য নেই:

একটি মন্তব্য পোস্ট করুন